Sunday, March 21, 2010

Antsiness, Anxiety, and Ice Cream for Dinner

Dave and I are very different when it comes to the weekends. He likes to bum around the house, play video games, watch TV, etc. I go one of two ways. Either I am the same way, and prefer to stay close to home. Or I get restless. My mind starts thinking about ALL the things we need to do. Like the mountains of laundry that is threatening to take over our closet. Or the fact that we are maybe 1/3 of the way finished with our packing. And we move on the 1st. Or that the floor needs to be mopped. See what I mean? So, today was a combination of the two.

Sutton woke up around 7:30 this morning. I got up with him, and brought him downstairs where we snuggled on the couch until about 8:45. Then I started making breakfast. I said to Sutton "Should we go wake up your dad?" Next thing I know, he's headed up the stairs by himself, yelling, "DAD! DAD!" I go upstairs where Dave is slowly waking up, and corral Sutton back downstairs.
For breakfast, I made Cinnamon Bun Pancakes, from the Tasty Kitchen blog. Oh my yum. I added a powdered sugar icing/syrup that another reader had recommended. So made the difference. Really made it taste like a cinnamon bun.
The recipe is listed below.
  • 1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
  • 3 Tablespoons White Sugar
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
  • 2 whole Eggs Beaten
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
  • ¼ cups Butter, Melted
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon with a whisk. Whisk well to make sure everything is combined.

In separate large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, corn syurp, butter and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium/low heat. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto griddle. Brown on both sides.

Serve warm with icing drizzled over the top.

Here is the recipe for the icing.
3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp melted butter, 2 tbsp milk and mix together.

Really, really good. Sutton ate FOUR of them. And I mean adult sized pancakes.

After our carb-fest, Sutton wanted to go watch a movie. He's obsessed with watching "movies" in our bed. He likes to be snuggled under the covers with us.

So last night, we started watching "The Princess and the Frog." We finished it this morning. While we were watching it, Sutton kept saying "Supai. Supai." And we couldn't understand what he was saying. Then Dave figured it out. PBS has a show called "SuperWhy" and it's all about reading and books. Sutton hadn't watched it that many times, so I didn't think he liked it all that much. We were wrong. Everytime the characters say their little catch phrases, he tries to say them along with them. So cute.
When movie time was over, I started tackling the mountains of laundry. Since we currently live in a two-story house, I throw the laundry over the railing, and collect it downstairs, where the washing machine is. Sutton decided that he wanted to help.

At around noon, Sutton was tired, so I put him down for a nap. Then I got dressed, and went down to the full-line Nordstrom, to pick up some makeup. When I got back, Sutton was still napping. He woke up around two-thirty, and we had a quick lunch of pizza.
After lunch, we all went outside to play. Well, Dave didn't play. He pulled weeds instead.
Sutton "helped" by watering the plants. He ended up watering the one pot that didn't have a plant in it.

That should have been enough, but my head kept telling me that we needed to be making the most of the beautiful weather. So I suggested going to the park by our house. Turns out that the park was extremely underwhelming. Kind of boring, actually. Got this cute picture of Dave and Sutton, though.
In the best suggestion of the day, Dave came up with the idea of going for ice cream. So we drove to Culver's for some soft serve. Sutton got his own cup, and boy, did he enjoy it.
Since it was about four-thirty at this point, I decided that this would be dinner. Yay for cool Mommy! We came home to more laundry, packing, a meltdown at bathtime, and two stories before bed. And we're exhausted.
That was our day. How was yours?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, SuperWhy is SuperAwesome. I really dig that show. Secondly, that picture of Dave and Sutton is so precious. It would look really cute black and white too! I can't believe how much Sutton is growing. I love seeing his pics....post more!

    ReplyDelete